Legally changed your name? Here’s what to do if it doesn’t match your COVID-19 vaccination card | Chicago News

(WTTW News)

The days of providing proof of COVID-19 vaccination in public spaces may be largely in the rearview mirror. But some places still require proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test.

What if you have legally changed your name since you received your vaccination record?

We have sought guidance from national and local health authorities.

Can I update my COVID-19 vaccination card with my new name?

No. You can’t edit your own records, according to officials who recommend contacting your healthcare provider or local health department to make changes.

OKAY. Where should I start?

Sign up for the state vaccination portal called Vax Verify if you haven’t already. Even if you have already legally changed your name, authorities advise you to register with the name you used when you were hit.

Already registered with Vax Verify? Contact your healthcare provider to update your record in the Illinois Automated Immunization Registry Exchange, or I-CARE Immunization Registry, with your new name.

I am unable to register for Vax Verify. What should I do?

Vax Verify uses credit reporting company Experian as their identity verification provider. If you fail to pass the Experian identification check, you will not be able to use Vax Verify. But you can still request a record of your COVID-19 vaccination from the Illinois Department of Public Health using this form.

How do I update my vaccination record with my new name?

State health officials advise you to contact your health care provider who would collect documentation of the name change and report it to the state immunization registry.

Chicago residents who received their vaccines at a now-closed site, such as a mass vaccination center, can email the Chicago Department of Public Health to have the name change processed. Not a Chicago resident? Officials advise contacting your local health department.

Can I request an updated vaccination card to reflect my name change?

Officials advise uploading digital proof of vaccination through Vax Verify, or contacting your provider or local public health department to reissue a CDC vaccination card.

I lost my vaccination record. Can I get a replacement?

Rather than carrying a physical card, officials recommend having digital proof of vaccination on hand, such as the SMART health card provided through Vax Verify. (You can even download the SMART Health Card to your smartphone wallet, officials say.)

For those unable to use Vax Verify, check to see if your local provider or pharmacy is one of the hundreds who have signed up to issue SMART health cards. (Pro tip: don’t click the Illinois link under public health issuers. It will just take you back to Vax Verify. Keep scrolling through pharmacies and test providers or all issuers.)

Still want a physical copy? Request a copy of your records from the provider who gave you the jab. Thinking of going directly to the card-issuing source? Don’t. The CDC does not keep vaccination records or issue vaccination cards to individuals, according to its website.

For more information about Vax Verify, visit the Illinois Department of Public Health website.

Contact Kristen Thometz: @kristenthometz | (773) 509-5452 | [email protected]

About Marion Browning

Check Also

San Diego County COVID Vaccination Clinics Now Accepting More IDs

San Diego County has changed its public COVID-19 vaccination policy to indicate that its vaccination …