Linking Aadhar and mobile phone number allows easy verification of your identity and opens access to certain government services and monetary benefits.
Aadhaar, the 12-digit identification number issued by UIDAI, aims to ensure efficient dissemination of social security benefits and grants to residents of India. The Aadhaar number also serves as proof of your identity for various verification purposes. Now, to avail any of these facilities, your mobile number must be linked to your Aadhaar card as the process will involve verification via OTP. However, some of our mobile numbers might not be present in UIDAI records, if we did not submit the phone number at the time of Aadhaar registration. Well, don’t worry because here we will see how you can add your mobile number to the Aadhaar card.
On the other hand, if you just want to link your Aadhaar card to your mobile number, we will walk you through the steps. In short, we will address both of these concerns and more. So let’s get started.
How to Link Aadhaar with Mobile Number Online
This might be the most comfortable way to link your mobile number to an Aadhaar card online, as you don’t have to go to the Aadhaar Seva Kendra. Yes, you do not need to go to a service center or wait in line. Instead, you can complete the process by mail from the comfort of your home.
One click and all your details are filled in. Update your #Aadhaar with your mobile number and enjoy the convenience of an easier life. Enjoy Aadhaar-Mobile Update Service at your nearest post office or doorstep via Postman/
Here’s how it goes:
- Visit this link of Indian Postal Service website.
- Enter basic information such as your name, address, email address, mobile number, etc.
- Select IPPB-Aadhaar Service as the service from the first drop-down menu.
- Choose UIDAI-Mobile/Email to Aadhaar linking/update.
- Once you have completed the above fields and made the required selections, click on the “Request OTP” button.
- On the next screen, enter the OTP you received on your phone number.
- Tap “Confirm Service Request”. You will get a Ref. No. which can be used to track the status of your request.
- Once successfully submitted, the application will be sent to the post office closest to you.
- An Aadhar update/liaison worker will come to your address and perform the verification process via a mobile biometric device (for fingerprints, iris and photographs).
- He/she will complete the linking/updating process and charge you a fee for the service (we will see the payment details at the end).
The following options involve you visiting the Aadhaar Service Center. Well, you can opt for this one because some of the work can be done online while sitting at your home.
Steps to make an appointment to update Aadhaar online through UIDAI website
This method allows you to change your Aadhaar card mobile number online and you only need to visit the Aadhaar Seva Kendra for biometric verification. You will be able to choose the date, time and your preferred/nearby Seva Kendra. Even the payment will be done online. Let’s see how it’s done:
- Go to this link uidai.gov.in. You can access this page by tapping on the My Aadhaar option (on the homepage of the UIDAI website) and selecting the “Make an Appointment” option from the drop-down menu.
- On the next screen, select the name of the location/city and tap on “Proceed with the appointment”.
- Next, enter the mobile number, given captcha code and click “Generate OTP”.
- Enter the OTP and press “Check OTP”.
- Fill in some basic details requested by the site. Make sure to keep the document selected in the application verification type. Here you will be shown Aadhaar Kendra service near you. Select it and press Next.
- You will now select the personal information you want to update on the Aadhaar card. Select Mobile number in this case.
- Enter the new mobile number and the captcha code.
- Again, you will need to tap on the Send OTP option and enter the one you receive on the next screen.
- On the last page, you need to select the appointment date and time.
- You will be able to review the details entered and upon submission, payment will be requested.
- You can pay by credit card, debit card, net banking or UPI. You will be able to save/print the payment receipt as well as the Aadhaar Update Request Form.
- Finally, you need to visit the Seva Kendra and simply share your Aadhaar number and go through the quick biometric verification process.
If the above method involved visiting the center just for the last step, the next one will have the whole process done at Seva Kendra. However, it would be convenient for those without a computer or internet access.
How to Link Aadhaar with Offline Phone Number
- You should go to the nearest Aadhaar registration center. By the way, if you have internet access, you can also locate the nearest registration center on this link from the UIDAI website. The website will display the address of these centers as well as the number of registrations and updates they have made and the date of the last update. Make sure which center seems most active.
- At the center, you will receive the Aadhaar correction form.
- Fill in the correct and most up-to-date details including your current phone number.
- When you submit the completed form, the agent will start verifying your biometrics.
- Once done, you will receive an acknowledgment that includes the Update Request Number (URN). You can use this URN (or the UIDAI toll-free number 1947) to track the status of the Aadhaar update.
Before proceeding, please note that the process of linking Aadhar card with mobile number via IVR (toll free number 14546) or OTP or visiting Telcom operator website no longer works. These were used for e-KYC and verification of mobile numbers with Aadhaar. Instead, we have this alternative method –
Steps to Verify Mobile Number with Aadhaar
Now, if you want to verify your mobile number with Aadhaar, you can do it simply as follows:
- Visit myaadhaar.uidai.gov.in
- Click Verify Email/Mobile
- Choose ‘Verify mobile number’.
- Enter your Aadhaar number and mobile number with captcha code.
- Click Send OTP and enter the OTP you receive. This will complete the verification process.
This helps verify that you are the owner of the SIM card and prevents duplication of your identity by bad actors.
How to update mobile number in Aadhaar
Follow these steps to update a new phone number on the Aadhaar card:
- Visit this link ask.uidai.gov.in.
- Enter your mobile number and captcha code, then tap “Send OTP”.
- Submit the OTP.
- On the next screen, click Update Aadhaar.
- Then choose Mobile number under “What do you want to update?” ” section.
- Enter the new mobile number on the next page. Submit captcha and OTP. Check to accept the disclosure.
- Once you submit, you will receive an appointment ID.
- Take this ID to Aadhaar Service Center. You will have the opportunity to make an appointment for the same.
Also, if you want to change a mobile number registered with Aadhaar that you have lost or no longer have, you must submit the mobile number update request to Aadhaar update center. According to UIDAI, this cannot be done online or by mail.
In case you’re wondering, no, you don’t have to visit the same center where you originally signed up.
Also, when visiting the Registration/Update Center, it is advisable to bring the necessary supporting documents. You can read more about the documents required to link your mobile number to Aadhaar here. As for the associated fees and payments, check out this official link.
It is therefore a good idea to have your Aadhaar linked to your mobile number as it would serve as the basis for your identification in many cases. Additionally, it could help you qualify for welfare and stem any form of identity theft and related fraudulent practices. For any queries or assistance related to Aadhaar and mobile phone, please feel free to call UIDAI on toll free number 1947 or email them at email@example.com.
For other news, reviews, features, buying guides, and all things tech, keep reading Digit.in.